Caitlyn Murray Commits to East Stroudsburg University (PA)


Carteret High School Ramblers softball pitcher Caitlyn Murray committed to East Stroudsburg University last week. She first made the announcement through an Instagram post.

“I can not thank my family, coaches and teammates enough for everything,” she posted along with a photo of the university’s logo. “Shoutout to my parents and siblings for being my backbone in this whole process the last 13 years. I wouldn’t be half the person I am today without you! HUGE thanks to Makenzie [Atherton] and Miss Mac for allowing me to realize what I want to do in the future and for reminding me to never lose hope in my dreams! Go Warriors!”

“These past couple months I have been in contact with ESU coaching staff and they were making every attempt they could to come see me play,” Murray told me. “To me, if someone is going to try that hard to give you a shot, then I am 100 [percent] going to put on a show when they finally get to see me. 

“I grew to love the school academically and athletically,” she went on. “I knew going into the tryout that no matter what, I wanted to leave everything on the field no matter the outcome. At the end when I was offered the spot I decided to accept it.”

Murray also told me she had her heart set on ESU, but she did have three other schools in mind - Dominican College, Kings College and Kean University. “Thankfully, everything worked out,” she said. 

Now that she has her college set, she’s going to focus on the rest of her time at Carteret High School while at the same time preparing for softball at ESU. “Within the next year I will be doing everything in my power to better myself,” she said.

Murray has always looked up to many people over the course of her career, as she mentioned in her Instagram post.

“Ms. A is the reason why I have decided to continue my academics as an athletic trainer and without her I wouldn't know what to do,” she said. “Miss Mac has helped on and off the softball field with everything you could possibly think of and has been a huge supporter with me going to ESU. 

“My siblings keep me going no matter what and always know how to keep a smile on my face. Lastly, my parents I can not say thank you enough for driving me to every practice and tournament the last 13 years. I'm very thankful to have parents who are as involved as them. Without them, I wouldn't be the athlete I am.”

Caitlyn’s sister, Brittany, a former softball player, is very proud of her younger sister. “I was actually relieved that to hear she was going there,” Brittany said. “It's not far away from home so that's a good thing. It's a great school and was also her number one pick so to hear she got in was amazing. I feel like I was a big help to her by always being there for her I would try to make it to all the games I could especially suprising her when I came home from college to see her. 

“I know that when I played and I had my brother and sister there watching helped me so much mentally, so being there for her was a must. When I couldn't be there I would always call to make sure she was good before the game,” Brittany said. “Overall I am so very proud of her and I know she is going to do nothing but great things in college on the field and academically.”

Reiman also spoke on behalf of Murray. “I was extremely excited and happy for Caitlyn. I knew [East Stroudsburg] was her top choice and how much she wanted to go there,” she said. I live close to the campus and she actually surprised me by coming over wearing her ESU jacket. When I opened the door and saw her in her jacket, I knew what it meant and I started jumping up and down in excitement with her and gave her the biggest hug I’ve probably given her in all four years that I’ve known her.

“Caitlyn has definitely matured from freshman to senior year, and it’s happened progressively each year,” she went on, On the field, she’s gotten smarter, improved her stats each year, racked up more awards each year, and she was team captain as a junior. Off the field, Caitlyn has
matured in all aspects. Physically, she’s gotten stronger. I used to train her one on one, and now she’s got her own gym membership and I write a training program for her that she follows all on her own. 

“She has learned the importance of staying strong all year, and how important it is to eat healthy. In addition, Caitlyn has really learned the importance of having priorities and has learned to make positive decisions that will help her
reach her goals.”

While playing softball at ESU, Murray will also be studying for a degree in athletic training. “My all time goal is to get a job with any professional sports team. It doesn't really matter to me as long as I am lucky enough to get a job I will be happy,” she said. “But I am going to aim to help anyone I can. I want to give back to younger athletes to make sure they have a athletic trainer who they can trust and go to for anything.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Look Back at Caitlyn Murray's 2016 Softball Season

The Incredible Story of Audrey Walker

Volleyball Falls to Ocean County